The Ekka is known for a few things, strawberry sundaes, Bertie Beetle and of course, the notorious Ekka crowds. A quiet Ekka kinda sounds like an oxymoron and while we can’t exactly promise you a quiet experience but if you’d rather an Ekka with chill vibes then keep reading, we got chu.
Firstly, it’s imperative you choose the right day and time to go.
Now not to state the obvious but guys… the weekends and the Ekka Wednesday are always going to be hectic – full stop. If you want to be able to swing your cat around then we do not suggest you visit on these days. So, when is a good time? Our 18 + years of Ekka’ing tell us the Tuesday is the quietest day of all (which this year works out to be Tuesday 13th August). You should also find Friday 9th and Thursday 15th to be on the quieter side. Monday the 12th is the Regional Queensland Show Holiday (anyone outside of Brisbane really) so this can be on the busy side.
Timing is also important. Crowds pick up in the afternoon so if you make a nice early morning visit (gates opens at 9am) then you should expect it to be a bit quieter around the grounds.
Next step to having a #ChillEkka is to pick the right places to go and more importantly WHEN. So, what about the most chill things to do? We’ve picked a few of the most tranquil Ekka activities we could find to keep your day easy breezy lemon squeezy.
- Bush Poetry, is there anything more chill? Don’t miss the poets belt out bush ballads at the Old Museum. This is happening on 10 August 2019 9.30am – 12.00pm only.
- With the help of local florists, you can make your own Flower Crown. Find them at The Old Museum.
- Swing by the Longhair cat competition and check out the preened to perfection kitty cats.
- Have a Moet-Moment. Yep, there’s a Moet & Chandon bar at the Ekka. You can enjoy a quiet moment and sip some champas away from the crowds!
- Get above the crowds by taking a slow spin on the ferris wheel.
On a side note, if you want showbags – this should be your straight up first stop. Get in there at 9am, make your purchase and then get outta there. If you really wanna nail it, you should get a locker so you can still use your arms for Ekka fun.
The Royal Queensland Show (The Ekka) is on from 9 - 18 August at the Royal Brisbane Showgrounds in Bowen Hills.
Sign up to our emails for access to prizes, insider tips and exclusive access to Showbag must-know news.
Get a little social
Follow us for access to exclusive offers, competitions and behind the scenes access to the wonderful world of Showbags.